Percy Jackson is Making Waves

Photo of the back of the “Percy Jackson and the Olympians” book collection (Mia Regnier)

Amassing a whopping 13.3 million viewers in the first week of its release, the new Disney+ series Percy Jackson and the Olympians is the biggest Disney branded television premiere of all time according to a press release from Disney.

This is huge considering Disney produces series related to Marvel. The show even managed to become one of the most streamed shows of 2023(and the show released only a week before the end of 2023).

Photo of “Percy Jackson and the Olympians” billboard (Mia Regnier)

Based on the best selling book series by Rick Riordan the show tells the story of Percy Jackson: the adventures Percy goes on and the threats he faces as the son of Poseidon.
Starring Walker Scobell as Percy Jackson, the first season follows the first book of the beloved five book series, The Lighting Thief . He is joined by Leah Sava Jeffries as Annabeth Chase and Aryan Simhadri as Grover Underwood, Percy’s best friends and his quest companions, as they go on a mission to retrieve Zeus’s lightning bolt, which has been stolen.
With already a strong fanbase the show is also bringing a new generation of Percy Jackson fans, “I had never read the books but my friend got me into watching it since she loves the books. It was really cool to see Greek myths like that,” says Pillar Hernandez, an MBA sophomore here at Millikan.
According to Comic Book TV, “As touted by Disney in a press release, Percy Jackson and the Olympians “is the top Disney Branded Television premiere of all time” as well as being “one of the top five season premieres of 2023.” This is thanks to its first episode bringing in 13.3 million views globally across both Disney+ and Hulu in its first six days streaming.”
This is since its two episode premiere on Dec. 19. It is expected that this number will continue to grow as the season finale released on Jan. 30.

On Feb. 7, Disney announced that the show has been renewed for a Season 2 only a week after the finale’s premiere. Percy Jackson and the Olympians isn’t going to be over anytime soon as the creators hope to finish the series with reimagining all five books.

13
View Comments (13)