The Student News Site of Millikan High

The Corydon

The Corydon

The Student News Site of Millikan High

The Corydon

Behind the Music: Cage the Elephant

A+photo+of+a+Cage+the+Elephant+record+in+a+record+shop.+
Bhree Walker
A photo of a Cage the Elephant record in a record shop.

Hi Rams, and welcome back to another issue of Behind the Music! This issue we will be writing about a band, who after a long five year break, has made a comeback and released a new album: Cage the Elephant!

Matt Shultz, lead singer of the indie rock band Cage the Elephant, reached the public eye when he was arrested early 2023 for possessing firearms in a New York hotel after dealing with a multiple year bout of medical psychosis. Schultz’s psychosis, a condition generally defined as a loss of contact with reality, was caused by a prescribed medication. 

Luckily, Schultz is better and with his improved health, the band released their fifth studio album, “Neon Pill,” on May 17, 2024. 

This album talks about Shultz’s struggles with psychosis and his recovery. It has different tones from their previous albums. While I have noticed it receiving a spectrum of reviews from singing its praise to longing for a more “classic” Cage the Elephant Sound, I think this album is their most sophisticated and darkest album to date. 

I am personally not a fan of indie music, however, Cage the Elephant is phenomenal. They draw a lot of inspiration from classic rock and punk rock, which is one of the reasons I think they appeal so much to me. 

A photo of a student listening to Cage the Elephant.

Cage the Elephant went under the radar of most, until quarantine 2020, when their song “Cigarette Daydreams,” released in 2013, became associated with a TikTok trend. 

Mikayla Pancheco, a senior in MBA, said that she has heard the song “Cigarette Daydreams” a lot on social media and TikTok, but did not know who the band was. 

They released their first studio album, which was self titled, in 2008. This album has some of their most popular songs, including “Ain’t No Rest for the Wicked” and “Back Against the Wall.”

Their second studio album, “Thank You Happy Birthday,” released in 2011, has iconic songs such as “Shake Me Down” and “2024.” 

However, the fact still stands that no matter how hard they try, none of their studio albums will ever be as iconic as their third album released in 2013: “Melophobia.” Besides “Cigarette Daydreams,” this album also has “Telescope” and “Come A Little Closer.”

A lesser praised album is their “Unpeeled” album. This album is one of my favorites because of its entirely acoustic tracks. I often find myself wondering if their title “Unpeeled” is a reference to the wildly popular MTV unplugged concert and album series

Overall, I think Cage the Elephant is a phenomenal band that elevates the sounds normally associated with Indie music. They integrate so many genres, styles, and cultures into their music making it something anyone can enjoy.