LBMA Student Art Show

Payton Miller
Photo of the LBMA entrance to the LBUSD student gallery.

“I liked how [the LBMA] gave everyone the opportunity to see their work. I feel like it’s cool how they spotlight everyone, they give everyone a certificate, they call everyone’s name. I feel like it’s a really good opportunity to give both confidence and also inspiration to aspiring artists,” says Payton Miller, a junior in COMPASS and advanced studio art.

High school students throughout the LBUSD are chosen to display their artwork at the Long Beach Museum of Art in the John and Helen Apostle Youth Gallery. The opening reception was Mar. 17, 3 p.m.-5 p.m., but the museum held the gallery open between Mar. 17 – May 12.

The theme this year was “Take Space, Make Space,” which can be interpreted in many different ways. How we take up space or make space, what is your safe space, etc.

Three teachers at Millikan, the Photography teacher Mr. Coppenger, the AP Art and Fashion teacher Mrs. Palsgrove, and 3D Art teacher Ms. Bailey choose the student artwork at Millikan that will be sent to the gallery and then the Long Beach Museum of Art chooses all the artwork that they want to display out of all the pieces presented to them.

Photo of the Millikan photography entries in the exhibit (Payton Miller)

Twelve Millikan student photographers were chosen to display their pieces at the museum. Mr.

Coppenger’s process for choosing photos was a little more selective than the rest of the art pieces. This is because many people don’t consider photography a form of art, therefore there’s more pressure to submit more exceptional pieces.

The most memorable piece of all the photos was a piece submitted by Payton Miller, a junior in COMPASS and advanced studio art.

“My photo is of a woman laying on the beach, and waves are crashing over her face. I wanted it to look like she was drowning to capture how a lot of people feel like they don’t have space in their own head,” says Miller.

3D art pieces were also chosen for display at the LBMA, including 10 pieces from Ms. Bailey’s 3D art class. She asked all her students to make artwork from skateboards, but the most memorable piece was a student who submitted artwork on a regular piece of wood.

“So at the bottom [of the art piece], it has a lot of people, they’re walking across the crosswalk in a crowded urban setting. And [the artists] happens to be mixed in there carrying her portfolio with her artwork,” says Ms. Bailey.

Eight students from Ms. Palsgrove’s class, who teaches AP art, were selected to showcase their work. A few of those art pieces that were selected by the LBMA included illustrations a soccer field, the bonds that people create, overpopulation, a dinner table, and neighborhoods.

While the gallery did end May 12, you can still visit the Long Beach Museum of Art. Admission is twelve dollars, but ten dollars for seniors and students, and free for children twelve and under.

Make sure to visit the student gallery when it’s up next year to support our Millikan students.

View Comments (3)