Dancing into the Spring Showcase

By Sophie Bright
Editorial Page Editor

As a new spring season emerges, so do the activities that come with it. One of these activities being the Millikan Dance Program’s annual Spring Showcase (this year entitled rightfully so, Unstoppable) where dancers from all levels perform pieces that they have been learning since the beginning of second semester. This year however, because of COVID-19 and the adjustments that were made to accommodate it, the showcase is to be held virtually via a YouTube video on Millikan Dance’s YouTube channel and will premiere on June 7th.

The teams have been rehearsing these dances through Zoom since January, but in March, they got approval from school to be able to return on campus after school to rehearse in person. This was a crucial part of the showcase because it allowed for the dancers to get a better idea of how the dance should look and gave them the ability to be placed in formations, which isn’t possible to do over Zoom. 

PHOTO COURTESY OF MILLIKANDANCE.ORG

This is the Millikan Dance Program’s logo.

“The after school rehearsals was the first time we could do the dance together in person. With these after school practices, it helped us notice the changes that needed to be made,” states QUEST junior Nataly Campos. 

“Due to social distancing, we had to choreograph the entire dance on FaceTime which was not ideal. Some of the classmates had internet issues, making it difficult to see if they comprehended the dance,” states Campos. 

The COVID-19 guidelines have changed the way their show will be produced in many ways such as little to no audience, which can be hard on the dancers and harder to motivate them when no one is watching. “We hope to have an outdoor ‘screening’ of the show and invite families and friends,” states Jennifer Waters, Millikan Dance Coach. Make sure to tune into the debuting of the dance showcase on June 7th and support the Millikan Dance Program’s show–“Unstoppable!”