Teacher Features

Mr. Anthony Thomas
Photo of Ms. Rachel Hamlet and Ms. Sid Shapiro

Thanks for tuning in for another issue of Teacher And Staff Features by The Corydon. This issue we would like to introduce to you Rachel Hamlet, the new ninth-grade counselor for QUEST, MBA, & SEGA Pathways. We would also like to introduce Sid Shapiro, one of Millikan’s Case Managers for students with special needs and a Math teacher. 

Ms. Rachel Hamlet graduated from California State University Long Beach with a dual Bachelor’s Degree in Child Development & Family Life Education. She also obtained a master’s in counseling and a Pupil Personnel Services Credential, which is required to become a counselor in California. 

Prior to working for the Long Beach Unified School District  (LBUSD), she worked at George Washington High School, in the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD), where she graduated from. She began her career in LBUSD as Millikan’s College and Career Specialist. She moved on to California Academy of Mathematics and Science (CAMS), Hudson Middle School, and Jordan High School. 

Photo of Ms. Hamlet. (Saige Tolentino)

Visit Site

Today she is part of the Ram family as a ninth-grade counselor. Hamlet describes her responsibilities as three domains; Academic, Socio-emotional, and Post-secondary planning guidance and support for her students. Every day she helps students with any questions and doubts they may have. 

“At Millikan, my goal is to be the best counselor I can be for my Freshies! I hope I have begun cultivating positive relationships with them and that they all know that I am here to support them in any way possible,” says Hamlet. 

Outside of Millikan, Hamlet is a cheer coach at Jordan High School and is the president of Unconquerable Souls, a non-profit organization.

We welcome her with open arms to be part of our community and can’t wait to see what she and her students accomplish in the years to come!

Next, we have Ms. Sid Shapiro, a special education pre-algebra & functional math teacher and Case Manager for students with special needs. Shapiro graduated from the University of Southern California with a master’s Degree in Deaf Education, she received a master’s Degree in Special Education from the College of Staten Island, a Bachelor of Arts in French from Rider University, and an Added Authorization in Autism from Alliant University

Photo of Ms. Sid Shapiro inside of her classroom. (Katie Ramirez)

She began her career at James Madison High School in Brooklyn, New York, and moved out to California. She worked at Granada Hills High School, in LAUSD, then she moved onto the LBUSD. She worked at Lakewood High School and Cleveland Elementary School, which now brings her to Millikan. 

Shapiro has been teaching for over 30 years and is fluent in American Sign Language. Here at Millikan, she is responsible for teaching math lessons and tracking and recording students’ academic progress. She also holds meetings with administrators, students, and parents. 

“I believe my greatest responsibility is to advocate for my students, to make sure they know I am on their side and that I am here to help,” said Shapiro. 

She believes that Millikan holds all of their students accountable and it is reflected in the school’s goals. “We hope that all students feel welcome and an integral part of our campus and that we reflect our belief that everyone belongs and has value,” she adds. 

We thank these teachers for being the best they can be and uplifting all of their students. We cannot wait to see what they have in store for Millikan’s community.

1
View Comments (1)