Antisemitism Throughout The U.S.

Photo of a Synagogue. (Photo Courtesy of Pexels.com)

As the war between Israel and Hamas continues, so too does the wave of antisemitism (hostility or prejudice towards Jewish people) that has crashed through the nation. 

According to an article by voanews.com, “The Anti-Defamation League, an American Jewish advocacy group, documented a staggering 832 antisemitic incidents of assault, vandalism and harassment between October 7, the day Hamas attacked Israel, and November 7[2023].”

While most of these 832 antisemitic incidents did not result in physical harm, hundreds of them were hate speech and other hate crimes (a prejudice-motivated crime, which occurs when a perpetrator targets a victim because of their physical appearance or perceived membership of a certain social group).

While most of these antisemitic acts were out in public areas, many incidents were also recorded on campus’ across the country. One of the hate crimes seen on campus was an incident at Drexel University where students lit a Jewish student’s door on fire. This incident was a prime example of the hostility currently being shown to Jewish people across the U.S. through hate crimes.

The Israel – Palestine conflict has been in existence for a long time. Antisemitic actions based on the conflicts have also been existent for a long time, but are now reaching a high with the spike in conflict between the two groups.

Jumps in antisemitism have been seen multiple times in the last century, often resulting from a similar reason.

“‘Our data across three decades clearly show huge percentage spikes in anti-Jewish hate crime in the U.S. when there is war in the Holy Land,’ said Levin (an expert who has researched the link between antisemitism in the U.S. and overseas conflicts),” according to an article on voanews.com.

While the U.S. has been hit hard by antisemitism, so too has the rest of the world. One of these places is the continent of Europe, whose people have taken to the streets to express their opinions on the matter.

“Marchers at the Brussels Rally held up signs reading ‘You don’t have to be Jewish to march against antisemitism,’ ‘antisemitism kills,’ and other slogans. Police said at least 4,000 people attended.’ said in an article by apnews.com.

If you encounter any forms of antisemitism within the community you must report these incidents to your local Jewish community or law officials. You can learn more about antisemitism and how to prevent it at adl.org.

6
View Comments (6)