Welcoming Winterguard

Miranda Reyes
Photo of ColorGuard in front of the marching band on Millikan’s football stands.

It would be impossible to go through high school without watching ColorGuard. They are very involved in all school activities. They perform alongside marching band or after marching band, at football games, in the winter assembly, and even participate in our homecoming parade and the Belmont Shore Christmas Parade.

It’s hard to describe what ColorGuard is. 

“It’s kind of like dance but with equipment that people can confuse as props, but they demonstrate artistry with it,” says Ms. Luu-Campos, Director of Orchestra and Co-director of Marching Band and Colorguard.

Photo of ColorGuard near the small gym. (Miranda Reyes)

ColorGuard works incredibly hard to put on a show. Two times a week they meet for three to four hours to practice routines, and then on weekends, twelve hours. And their official season is all year round! When they aren’t performing at Millikan, they are going to competitions with marching band. Then, from February to April, they have Winterguard. This is where ColorGuard competes in its own tournaments.

Winterguard’s competitions begin at the end of February and are hosted at high schools and college campuses. The team is filled with dedicated, hardworking students, three coaches, and a dance specialist, all working to make their performances exceptional. Currently, Winterguard is working on a Spongebob Squarepants routine. 

“So competitions here at Millikan, you have to remember we’re in the top 10% of the state in ColorGuard and marching

band, so competition days are twelve to fourteen hours long. We always come here in the morning and rehearse, at least a three to four-hour rehearsal before we even go compete,” says Ms. Luu-Campos.

While ColorGuard is competitive and very time-consuming, it is worth it to join ColorGuard if you’re interested. It’s an outstanding community where everyone, even opposing teams, helps each other and supports each other.

This team gives everyone a chance to be in the spotlight and show off their skills and abilities. No one on the team is left out during performances, and no skills are required to join, besides a positive attitude.

If you’re interested, ColorGuard accepts new students at the end of the year, during the summer, and right after Thanksgiving. For more information on ColorGuard and tryouts, you can email Ms. Luu-Campos.

1
View Comments (1)