Curious Canelo

Photo+of+Canelo+receiving+attention+from+students+outside+of+school.+
Nora Brust
Photo of Canelo receiving attention from students outside of school.

Photos depicting a beige cat hanging out with students have been popping up all over Millikan student Instagrams lately. This is not the first time a cat has been spotted on or around campus, so what makes this cat special? 

Stevie Sheridan, a QUEST junior, said, “He’s very social, always goes up to people passing by, looking for pets. He is very loving too, he will just rub against people looking for love.” 

This mysterious cat’s name is Canelo, meaning cinnamon, which fits his dusty fur color and sweet personality. It is his friendly and gentle nature that has made him such an interesting member of the Millikan community. 

According to his foster owner, Canelo moved into the Millikan neighborhood in March of 2023, and not much later he began accompanying his new humans to school. 

“He became a beloved feline celebrity among the high school students, captivating them with his playful character and irresistible charm,” they informed me. 

Photo of Canelo as a kitten, provided by his foster owner.

However, Canelo craves more than just attention from students, he has begun breaking onto campus!

Sarah Hopper, a COMPASS junior, said she saw him come onto campus on Monday, Dec. 18. 

“I was walking to my English class in the 200 [building] that morning and I saw him by the library,” she said. 

Security escorted him off of campus, but witnesses have reported him scurrying back on. 

Mika Walsh, a CSA, said, “We had one incident, where that lovely cat found his way here. We did what we could do to shoo him away, but for some reason, he keeps coming back like clockwork.” 

Despite not being allowed on campus, he still patiently waits for students to get out of school to receive an unlimited amount of attention. 

Canelo’s foster owner told me, “It was truly heartwarming to see the positive impact he had on these young individuals. Some students even admitted that Canelo had changed their view on cats, turning their previous dislikes into newfound appreciation and affection.”

He is helping the Millikan student body, one interaction at a time. Students have expressed their excitement about being in Canelo’s company. Cats are well-reputed for being aloof and anti-social, so Canelo’s special attention to the student body can have a positive butterfly effect throughout the Millikan Community.

He has even been spotted laying on backpacks while students sit in the grass stressing over homework. 

According to an article published by Cornell University, “A recent study that used university students (who are notoriously stressed) as subjects found that petting cats or dogs for 10 minutes decreased the amount of cortisol (a stress hormone) in their saliva. These findings are consistent with the notion that interacting with cats and dogs decreases stress.” 

Canelo has wiggled his way into the heart of the Millikan community, one person at a time. Although his stay near campus may be temporary, it is no secret that his impact will ripple on throughout the hearts he has touched.

If you want to see more photos of Canelo, check out his gallery!

43
View Comments (43)