The Student News Site of Millikan High

The Corydon

The Corydon

The Student News Site of Millikan High

The Corydon

Christmas Creep

Jonas Rorwick
Photo of a hose lit up with holiday decorations.

Christmas is coming too early each year. Businesses competing for customers are creating holiday-themed deals trying to get people to buy Christmas products and gifts earlier in the year. This phenomenon is called “The Christmas Creep.”

Target started offering Black Friday deals as early as October 29th and Walmart started their first round of Black Friday deals on November 8th. No longer is Black Friday a 24-hour event, instead it becomes a drawn-out series of sales that begin weeks before the actual day. In addition to the drawn-out deals, the ability to online shop has almost eradicated any significance Black Friday once held. This is just one example of how the Christmas Creep is ruining the holiday season. 

For most, Christmas is a season associated with love, joy, and family; for others, however, Christmas brings anxiety, stress, and seasonal depression. The article “What is ‘Christmas Creep’ and why can it stress you out” by Healthline.com discussed why Christmas Creep can have negative effects on your mental health.

Photo of A house eccentrically decked out for Christmas, before December had even begun. (Makayla Brown)

“The holiday season is supposed to be happy, but some people feel pressure, particularly around money,” the article stated, “People may not have the same budgets for gift-buying and decor as they did in previous years, as that money is going towards groceries, gas, and other necessities”. 

Aimee Uresti, the school social worker, had some advice for how to navigate this time of year with anxiety. “Be kind to yourself. Despite not having gifts ready, if you have to go shopping, take it a day at a time. Maybe shop for one thing one weekend and another thing another weekend. If you don’t have money to purchase gifts, get creative. DIY. It’s the thought that counts. But you should also be doing self-care activities for yourself to help manage that anxiety,” Ms. Uresti said, “Self-care depends on the person, so do whatever helps you fill your cup with joy, then use that resource.”

When polled on The Millikan Corydon Instagram, 86.4% of students said that they have experienced the Christmas Creep phenomenon this year. Of those students, 31.8% said that the idea of Christmas Creep caused them stress. 

Allison Pelletier, a sophomore in PEACE, said “Christmas is supposed to be joyful and stress-free but when big companies pressure the holidays on people, it makes it less joyful and more stressful.” 

The majority of students, 45.5% said that they started to notice Christmas merchandise in October, but some, 9.1%, started seeing it as early as June!

Sophia Flores, a senior in PEACE, said that she associates Christmas with feelings of joy and excitement.

Although she does not celebrate Christmas until Dec. 1st, she said when to celebrate is “ up to the person, if they enjoy Christmas, then they should celebrate early.”

No matter your stance on Christmas Creep, the corporations have pulled it off! Christmas is officially upon us. 

26
View Comments (26)