How Covid Effected Theater

By Thomas Peacock
Staff Reporter

Theater and in-house play performances have always been very social and interactive, with some plays and their actors extremely reliant on the audience’s reactions for the performance. “Performing arts are very social and are meant to be experienced together,” Millikan theater director Shanon Graham said. So, when the pandemic hit and sent everyone inside, with only online resources, how does theater survive? How did Millikan’s theater program adjust, and how will they continue to adjust?

When distance learning started, theater classes didn’t hesitate to resume online. 

Although it was a challenge, the Millikan theater program has been able to adjust and transition fairly well, or at least as well as they could in this situation. Online assignments included videos of acting, stage design and other slightly interactive assignments. 

PHOTO COURTESY OF MARIO FLORES, MILLIKAN STAGE DIRECTOR
MILLIKAN THEATER BACKSTAGE.

Pictured here is Millikan’s backstage area in the Robert L. Brigham auditorium.

However, live performances are another issue. Graham states, “The audience’s reaction is part of that shared experience in theater and it helps to guide the performer so that has been adding to the challenge. ”Live performances are very difficult with a pandemic and orders in place to stop it, so for the most part they haven’t been performed. 

While continuing to act and expand theater skills and ideas is a focus of theater, the main focus  is being on stage. Unfortunately in person performances have been delayed and not something that most programs have been able to continue. Not one full live performance has been put on since the beginning of the quarantine in Long Beach.

When asked about the adjustment back to in-person performances and live shows, Graham adds, “I do think it will be an easy adjustment….any fraction of returning to what feels normal in theater will make things easier for me and the students. [It’ll] bring so much comfort and joy doing what we love.”