The Twitter Takeover Takes Off

Emma Lloyd

Student viewing Elon Musk’s Twitter profile.

Emma Lloyd, News Editor

SPACEX CEO Elon Musk bought Twitter on April. 14, 2022. Since then, he has been making numerous tweets about his new eight dollar verification policy which will show that you are not a bot or a scammer by giving you the blue verification check. Celebrities like Stephen King have made tweets replying to the new policy. Gigi Hadid even went as far as leaving the social media platform. 

But that hasn’t stopped Musk from strictly enforcing his new way to make sure there are less trolls and scammers. While the idea was for the right reasons, many believe that making users pay eight dollars to get a little blue check to signify verification is ridiculous. 

On Nov. 8, 2022, Stepen King tweeted, “I think I liked Twitter better in the pre-Musk days. Less controversy, more fun.” To which Musk replied with a simple ghost emoji.

Musk has said the acquisition of Twitter was part of his “grander vision” of creating a super app in Western markets. “It’s a pretty grand vision and, of course, that could be started from scratch, but I think Twitter would accelerate that by three to five years,” he said in August.

PHOTO BY Julissa Flores
A tweet trashing Musk’s new policy (Julissa Flores)

SEGA senior David Hoover says, “I’m not really against Elon Musk’s new policy, like any other big change people are going to be on both sides of the fence. In my opinion, people are focusing way too much on this issue instead of his new ‘free speech’ initiative he’s been posting about and doing things like unbanning people who were previously banned.” This will leave people wondering if history is going to repeat itself or not.

“As for paying eight dollars for verification, I probably won’t. I can see it being useful for celebrities and corporations, but not for me,” says Hoover. 

On Dec. 15, 2022 ElonJet, an account run by a 20 year old University of Florida student that published public records of Musk’s private jet path, was permanently suspended, as well as several journalists who linked to the account. Musk is now silencing the media, as well as taking away their first amendment rights. He has also disabled spaces after he had been questioned by several of the banned journalists.

People all over the internet are wondering what Musk is going to do next; is he merely a successful entrepreneur that’s capitalizing on one of the biggest businesses in the world? Or is he an economical tyrant in the making?