Insta Embarrassment

PHOTO COURTESY OF Mr. Pearson: Showing a THINK poster about posting on social media.

James Goddard and Liana Ngauv

COVID is not the only virus spreading around Millikan. Like an illness, an obsession with creating lighthearted accounts associated with Millikan has started. 

From pictures of the Millikan population  eating to highlighting others’ posture, people have gotten caught up in the excitement of these accounts. The rush of adrenaline associated with a new picture being posted, not knowing if it’ll be you has added to the intrigue.

“I was in English, and my friends were looking at [the Millikan sleep account] and didn’t know about the account. They showed me the picture and thought the caption was funny- they showed me then I went ‘huh?’ and I realized the picture was me.” says Norah Cochran, PEACE senior. 

One saving grace is the option to request to be removed if an unfavorable picture was posted.

PHOTO COURTESY OF @millikan_bathroom on Instagram:
An example of one of the accounts, which features the bathrooms.

Certain accounts also refuse to post if a specific name is mentioned. 

These accounts have caused mixed feelings among the student body. Some see it as a source of entertainment while others believe it’s more like bullying. According to a poll taken by the Corydon, 18.6% of the student body thinks that the accounts are harmful, while 62.8% think that it’s funny.

Some students enjoy the humor the accounts bring and acknowledge the choice to take unfavorable photos down.

“I think it’s funny and look at the account sometimes. However, if a person wanted them to be taken down they should,” says Cochran.

Some of the people who submitted pictures of others do feel remorse, even if it was a lighthearted decision. 

“After I submitted it, I felt bad. I do regret it and now think ‘what if that was me?” says an anonymous student, who submitted the photo of Cochran. 

From our perspective, these accounts don’t seem harmful. If someone is posted they are allowed to ask to have it taken down, and so far it hasn’t caused any lasting damage to students. As long as it isn’t directly harming or targeting anyone, there’s no use in putting a foot down.