Should You Shop Local?

Allyson Richter
Photo of a local independent movie theater located in Long Beach.

Art shops, music stores, restaurants, and so much more make up the wide variety of local businesses people go to. Long Beach includes a wide variety of small businesses such as Feline Good Social Club, the Art Theater, Bagatelle Records, and many more.

Whether you’re looking for new clothes, gifts, or even ingredients for your kitchen, supporting small businesses is a great way to support local vendors and artists, as well as limit harm to the environment. 

However, pricier goods and “inconvenience” when compared to shopping at big corporations can make local businesses seem inaccessible. This makes it understandable that not everyone has the chance to exclusively shop locally.

When given the chance, even if it is only occasionally, you should support small businesses rather than big corporations.

Consumerism today is very centered on convenience and disposability. Prices are cheaper and shopping is easier, making products from fast fashion brands or companies like Amazon appealing. However, they aren’t good for the environment.

When looking for clothes, many small businesses provide a more sustainable alternative. Buying from vendors who choose and make their own products gets you longer-lasting goods. Buying things second-hand or from a thrift store keeps clothing from being sent to the landfill.

Local businesses also cater to all kinds of interests. Many shops sell things such as handmade goods, varieties of “knick-knacks,” and niche collectibles that you can’t find in corporations. They also often feature local artists, giving you an opportunity to support the arts.

Photo of flowers from a small business flower shop. (Joana Terriquez)

Kaitlyn Lor, a QUEST senior, states, “Shopping small all around fosters connections within the community, helps the lives of independent business owners, and continues to drive creative spirit all while stimulating the local economy.”

These independent business owners and artists do have pricier goods that accommodate the material and time it takes to make their goods. This is why it is not always possible to make a complete switch to shopping small, but when given the chance, shopping local is a great opportunity to help the community.

“I enjoy spending time going to local fleas and farmers markets, and seeing all the creativity and hard work behind all of it,” says Lor. “To me, it’s really awesome to experience that level of human connection in comparison to shopping at a larger chain.”

Lor suggested supporting small businesses at markets such as the First Fridays at Bixby Knolls, the Beach Flea at PCH, the Marina Farmer’s Market, and the Collective Market at PCH. Lor is also hosting a small business feature event at Millikan on Mar. 22, 4:30 – 7:00 p.m., giving students a chance to support both local and student-run businesses.

Whether you’re out shopping for books or looking for good food, support local businesses and you will not regret it!

3
View Comments (3)