Battling Body Image

Photo of woman looking into mirror (Photo Courtesy of Pexels.com)

Body image is our own perception of how we physically feel about our appearance. Somedays, we may feel confident, while other days not so much. The idea of how we perceive our body is ever-changing and it is important to not let one negative day dictate who you are. 

To look at teens’ main source of influence, social media could not be more culturally impactful than it is today. Increasingly growing its influence across the world, too much power could propose a reign of harm. Being a teenager on social media, the amount of videos I have come across promoting harmful “solutions” to fix one’s own relationship with their body is far too common.

Photo of Instagram app (Photo Courtesy of Pexels.com)

What I Eat In A Day” videos are prime examples of disordered eating behaviors being uploaded onto the internet without any repercussions. A majority of these videos begin with a “body check” which gives the impression that the viewer can look just like them if they replicate their eating habits. In reality, everyone’s caloric needs differ from one another. There needs to be a heavier barrier for videos with false health information to be able to reach the public.

On Feb. 23, 2021, Instagram wrote an article titled “How we’re supporting people affected by eating disorders and body image.” Mentioning when someone tries to search for deleterious content on the platform, they will instead be redirected to helpful resources by having them show up first in the search results. Ever since then we have not heard much from Instagram on this topic, with them being one of the most famous social media platforms I believe they could do more. With new technologies such as algorithms, Instagram needs to update their content hazard system by having it filter out videos that could appear in someone’s feed unwarrantedly, rather than only in search results.

As easy as it would be to blame major social media corporations tirelessly, we do have to acknowledge the level of control over what we decide to interact with on social media platforms. The harsh reality of social media is that truly anyone could make a profile and speak their mind, even if it is unfactual. We hold the responsibility of making sure whose advice we are following on social media is from a registered source that has proper certification. 

Jamie Magdic (@jamierd_) is a registered dietitian, specializing in disordered eating and eating disorders. In an interview about the rising rates of disordered eating in teens, she says “I would give teens the advice to question what they see, hear, and feel when it comes to their relationship with their body. Our culture loves to sell based on your shame to sell the latest diet, supplement, and product.”

Social media based sponsorships are when a creator is paid by commission to talk positively on a product, with the hopes of a consumer seeing the video and purchasing. A strategy influencers use to sell a product consists of utilizing humiliation of one’s body, promising the product as the solution. “We need to question these messages that promote distrust with our bodies and lean into asking [ourselves] what feels respectful, compassionate, and kind when it comes to how I treat my body with food and words,” Jamie Magdic adds.

Photo of person taking photo of yogurt bowl (Photo Courtesy of Pexels.com)

While it is important to acknowledge that social media poses a risk to the relationship with our bodies, it could also bring positive outlets to your feed. To predict our algorithms completely is almost impossible, but interacting with content that promotes body neutrality and goes against harmful body ideals could adjust your social media algorithm to a much more body positive atmosphere helping to build a kinder perception with your body.

While everyone has their own individual relationship with their body, withholding the ability to identify signs of a negative body image and disordered eating behaviors is crucial when it comes not just ourselves, but those who we love. 

According to Forbes, signs of a poor relationship with food and body include: constant self comparison, obsessive guilt after eating, purposely ignoring hunger cues, avoidance of taking part in photos, social isolation, and exercising to “earn” food.

Now that you know some of the warning signs, resource outlets are NEDA (National Eating Disorders Alliance) and National Alliance for Eating Disorders. Both of these websites provide helpful learning opportunities, and assistance to locate help for yourself or a loved one.

To close with some words of affirmation: No one’s body is better than the other, you should not be criticized for the size of your body but rather your character. My wish is for what I have learned from my body image journey could help prevent someone else’s tragedy. If you or someone you know is struggling, please do not be afraid of reaching out to a professional. Help is out there and you do not need to struggle alone.

View Comments (10)