Behind the Music: Sublime

Photo+of+Sublime+with+Rome+preforming+at+Cali+Vibes.+
Bambi Beyrooty
Photo of Sublime with Rome preforming at Cali Vibes.

Hi Rams, welcome back to Behind the Music! This issue we will be talking about one of the most influential bands of the 1990s, Sublime, and how they are continuing their legacy. 

Sublime was formed in Long Beach in 1988 by Bradely Nowell (lead singer/guitar), Eric Wilson (bass), and Bud Gaugh (drums). 

The band played their first gig on the Long Beach peninsula on July 4, 1988. This show started the Peninsula Riot where seven people were arrested. 

Due to their eclectic music style, Sublime found themselves being rejected by every music label they reached out to. In 1990 as a response to their defeat, Nowell and Michael Happoldt started their own label: Skunk Records. Through this label, Sublime got their music out to a bigger demographic and started to get recognition on local radio stations.  

Sublime started to gain fame for their musical abilities, playing larger clubs and festivals like the Hollywood House of Blues and the 1995 Vans Warped Tour. The band was briefly kicked off the tour for unruly behavior and multiple incidents of their mascot, a dalmatian named Lou Dog, biting the audience, skateboarders, and tour members. Lou Dog had a reputation for biting people including the stars of Sublime music videos and Gwen Stefani, lead singer of the rock band, No Doubt

On May 25, 1996 tragedy struck with the death of Bradley Nowell due to a heroin overdose. This was just seven days after his wedding to Troy Denenkker and eleven months after the birth of his son, Jakob Nowell

In 2009, the band adopted a new singer, Rome Ramirez, and a new sound with their rebrand: Sublime with Rome. They released three albums under this title, the most notable being “Yours Truly.”

Sublime with Rome never reached the same fame that sublime reached, but they toured reggae festivals like Cali Vibes and Beach Life

On Dec. 11th, 2023, Jakob Nowell joined Sublime with Rome on stage for Positive Mental Attitude, a benefit concert for the lead singer of Bad Brains, H.R. (Human Rights). 

Photo of some of Sublime’s albums. (Payton Miller)

People were enchanted with how similar Jakob sounded to his dad. His voice seemed to resurrect the good old days of Sublime. Later in Dec. 2023, Rome stepped down. This allowed Jakob to join the band and continue his father’s legacy, touring as just Sublime. 

Since the announcement Sublime has booked many large festivals including “NO VALUES” and Coachella

Zoe Andrade, a MBA senior, said she is excited to see Sublime at Coachella this year. “I think it’s different because he [Jakob] doesn’t sound exactly like Sublime, but I feel like it’s good that they are continuing the tradition of it [Sublime],” she said. 

That’s all for now Rams, and remember to listen to what makes YOU happy.

8
View Comments (8)