The Student News Site of Millikan High

The Corydon

The Corydon

The Student News Site of Millikan High

The Corydon

Taylor Swift’s New Album “The Tortured Poets Department”

Ian Henriquez
Photo of TTPD pop-up at the Grove, LA

Taylor Swift dropped her brand new double album “The Tortured Poets Department” on Friday, Apr. 19 at midnight EST announced at the 2024 Grammy’s.

“I think that the album needs more than one listen to be fully appreciated,” stated Senior QUEST student Natalia Ramos about the album. “When I first listened to it I felt that a lot of the songs had a similar sound to some of her previous albums, but the lyrics are what leave the most impact with this album. I feel that the album is her saddest and has the most allusions in it.”

In less than half a day, the album became the most streamed album in a day on Spotify according to their Instagram post. Trending songs among Swifties are “Fortnight (ft. Post Malone),” “I Can Do It With A Broken Heart” and “So Long, London,” along with my personal favorite “But Daddy I Love Him.” 

Overall the album was absolutely amazing and I think it’s her best album yet. Swift uses lyrics and phrases that dive deep into the trauma of her previous relationship with Joe Alwyn. It’s now confirmed through her lyrics that the album expresses all of Swift’s pent-up emotions about the breakup, and almost all the songs on the album are about it. Her trauma dump went further into her emotions than we’ve ever seen, which is what made the album so meaningful.

At the Eras Tour in Sydney, Swift states, “I needed to make it, it was a lifeline for me.”

Photo of a typewriter and setlist at the TTPD pop-up at the Grove (Ian Henriquez)

Once the album dropped, it had Swifties all around the world amazed and drowning in their own tears from the heart-wrenching breakup album. I absolutely loved the album, it’s definitely my new favorite and my new obsession.

Swifties were even more amazed when Swift released a double album at 2 am (11 pm PST) called “The Anthology,” consisting of 15 more tracks from the tortured mind of Taylor Swift.

“The mythological and Victorian references in the second half of the album tie the tragic and poetic elements of the album together,” Ramos states regarding the surprise double album.

Lyrics such as “stole my tortured heart, left all these broken parts” (My Boy Only Breaks His Favorite Toys) and “sanctimoniously performing soliloquies I’ll never see” (But Daddy I Love Him) really show what she’s capable of through her lyrics. “I Can Do It With A Broken Heart” is an example of how she’s capable of overcoming her breakup with Joe and still being there for her fans through the Eras Tour while masking her hurt and depression. This song presents that through its upbeat sound but deep and emotional lyrics.

Since the release, many of the tracks have been trending on TikTok such as “I Can Do It With a Broken Heart,” “Down Bad,” “So High School,” “So Long, London,” “But Daddy I Love Him,” and “Florida!!!” Many trending audios and trends have branched off of these songs. 

Other significant songs are “So Long, London” where Swiftie’s previous speculations were correct regarding the strong ties to her relationship with Alwyn. One of the tracks in the double album is titled “thanK you aIMee,” the capitalized letter spelling out “KIM” referring to Kim Kardashian, whom Swift had previous problems with in 2017 with Kanye West. The song mentions how Kim used to blame her in 2017 and how the experience has helped Swift grow as a person.

Her recent success has skyrocketed with her new album and has been trending all around the world. Taylor Swift is such an incredible woman and an Amazon songwriter, her album was absolutely astounding and breathtaking.

View Comments (4)