The Psychology of Being Scared

Payton Miller
Photo of the Ring, a classic scary movie.

The television screen illuminates the otherwise dark room. The movie’s antagonist runs for her life as she is chased by the villain. She reaches a room, but little does she know, her assailant is right behind her! 

The heart-racing feeling is common to horror lovers of all kinds.

But why do people love to be scared? 

As a horror fan, I think a variety of factors come into play depending on the person. Personally, I watch them to relax. 

“Physiologically, the responses we have for fear are the same as what we have for happiness or excitement. For some people being scared feels fun. You have a fight or flight response, your blood leaves your internal organs and goes to your limbs, you are ready to run and pumped with adrenaline, and you have a heightened sense of awareness. Some people label this as a fun sensation, others label this as a scary sensation,” said Mrs. Hines, one of Millikan’s AP Psychology teachers.

The adrenaline rush we feel from a fight or flight response can lead to a release of dopamine, making some enjoy and even crave the experience. 

Of course, this entirely depends on the person. 

Celina Jimenez, a senior in PEACE, said that she feels anxious about jump scares when she watches horror movies. Because of this, she said that she doesn’t like to be scared. 

If someone experiences a stress response instead of a dopamine response, it can leave them anxious and unhappy; making them even dread the feelings associated with horror movies. 

This is what leads to a divide between horror and not horror fans, it all comes down to how our brains are wired and the experiences we have had. Those who love horror movies really love them and those who loathe them really loathe them. 

Sophomores in English are finishing up their unit on the allure of fear, and students taking AP Language and Composition this year should be familiar with an article by Stephen King titled, “Why We Crave Horror Movies.” 

In this article, King shares his thoughts on why horror themes are sensationalized. He claims that humans have a primal instinct and need for violence, meaning that observing violent themes in horror movies can scratch that primal itch. 

“The mythic horror movie, like the sick joke, has a dirty job to do. It deliberately appeals to all that is the worst in us. It is morbidly unchained, our most base instincts let free, our nastiest fantasies realized,” King claims. 

Photo of a student watching The Strangers, a horror movie. (Nolan Alvarez)

I believe that on top of the dopamine effect and the release of morbid primal urges, horror movies also allow for an escape from reality. They feature unfortunate protagonists in traumatizing situations that allow you to feel anxious for another person and forget your fears for a while. 

September through October, hardcore Halloween lovers have the opportunity to put themselves into the story and become the antagonist of their own horror movie. Immersive experiences like Knotts Scary Farm, Universal Studios Halloween Horror Nights, and Six Flags Fright Fest are a step up for intense thrill seekers. 

When October ended, so did a lot of Halloween-themed haunts; however, for those who crave a year-round adrenaline rush, horror movies, books, podcasts, and shows will always be waiting with open arms. 

Even into the Winter Holidays, Christmas-themed horror movies are a good opportunity to add a little scare to the season.

23
View Comments (23)