The Race Against the Tardy Slip

This picture is of a tardy detention slip that is given to students who are caught during tardy sweeps.

Kassie Sainz, Staff Reporter

As chatter fills the air and herds of students journey back to their classes, a sudden voice can be heard cutting through the announcement speaker. It’s echoes across campus cause footsteps to halt and heads to crane back, leaving many to await the unknown news. While the words, “we will be holding a tardy sweep” travel to all of those in sight, the sound of sighs and groans can be heard accompanying it. It is a statement that springs frustrated students into a timely race, one against receiving a dreaded tardy slip and self-serving to a 30 minute after school detention. 

As of March 1, students who are more than 20 minutes late to 1st or 2nd period or late at all to periods 3-8 will have to have a tardy slip in order to enter class.

Although the controversy regarding tardy sweeps is no mystery to any Millikan student, teacher, or staff member, there is still much debate that surrounds its continuation. Many, including myself, have taken the time to weigh the benefits and drawbacks of it. 

As much as I can acknowledge that tardy sweeps are intended to boost student punctuality, I must admit that I believe they only add stress and pressure to those who have been on time. Especially students who must hurry from one side of the school to the other. 

I myself have struggled after lunch to rush from the 200 building to the 1100 building to prevent being caught by school administrators. Others have faced issues trying to get to the bathroom during a tardy sweep.

I think that constantly urging students to race to class only does the opposite. Having to listen to a repeating voice irritates me and doesn’t encourage me to rush to class. 

Unable to receive the insight of Millikan’s assistant principal Mrs. Filer, I sought out to interview fellow students instead. 

MBA junior, Wyatt Crippen, says, “I can see how tardy sweeps are beneficial to getting to class on time, but I can also see how they add stress on us. Who needs more stress during an already stressful time?”

“Tardy sweeps make me dread passing period,” MBA junior Jack Woods adds. 

On another note, conducting tardy sweeps can also lead to students being punished for their tardiness over something that wasn’t their fault. 

Ultimately, I believe that Millikan’s tardy policy should be modified to reduce the stress and pressure on all student’s lives. 

This picture is of student’s heading back to class after the announcement of a tardy sweep on February 15th.