The Student News Site of Millikan High

The Corydon

The Corydon

The Student News Site of Millikan High

The Corydon

The War Between Israel and Hamas Update

Photo of war plane with camoflauge background
Jason Troya

If you are unaware of the events occurring in Palestine and Israel leading up to those in this story, I highly recommend reading our first story on this war here.

The war between Israel and Hamas has developed in the last couple of months, most notably the freeing of hostages by Hamas as well as a temporary ceasefire. What many people don’t realize is that not only did Hamas release Israeli people but Palestinians were also returned to their homes from Israel.

One of the events that kicked this war off in the beginning was the taking of Israeli hostages by Hamas on October 7th. Around 1,200 Israeli citizens were killed by Hamas and 240 were taken as hostages. This led to a pledge by the Israeli government to destroy the people in Gaza who run Hamas. 

After weeks of fighting between the two powers and constant bombardment of missiles that Israel launched on Gaza, a time of peace was established between the two in order for Israeli citizens to be returned. 

Photo of protest regarding the war between Israel and Hamas (photo courtesy of Pexels.com)

Israel released 39 Palestinians, all of whom are minors, from its prisons in return, according to a Qatari spokesman,” said an article by Doha Madani and Rebecca Cohen on NBC News

58 hostages were released from Hamas during the first three days of the peace period starting November 24th with even more released during the rest of the six-day ceasefire. 

Palestinians everywhere were hoping for further extensions to the ceasefire so they could remain in a somewhat safe environment. 

Al-Maliki warned that any resumption of the war by Israel would quickly lead to more deaths in a conflict that has killed more than 14,000 people, the vast majority of them Palestinians. He is the foreign minister for the internationally recognized Palestinian Authority, whose forces were driven out of Gaza by Hamas when it seized power in 2007,” said an article by Joseph Wilson on apnews.com

After negotiations for extending the ceasefire failed on December 1st, fighting quickly resumed as bombings resumed along the Gaza Strip. This quick resume in fighting from Israel shows that they intend on expanding its ground offensive. 

Despite the two sides claiming they were willing to restore a cease-fire, fighting resumed as the two powers continued to place blame on one another. Fighting will likely resume until another cease-fire is reached between the two.

5
View Comments (5)