The Student News Site of Millikan High

The Corydon

The Corydon

The Student News Site of Millikan High

The Corydon

Six Year Old Styrofoam Ban Being Enforced Soon in Long Beach

Saige Tolentino
Photo of multiple Styrofoam containers.

Long Beach City Council has decided to start cracking down on the use of Styrofoam, despite the fact that a law banning it was passed all the way back in 2018. Styrofoam has been a common material for temporarily holding foods or drinks for a long time because of its ability to insulate and keep out moisture. However, businesses will have to find an alternative material for their take-out, starting in June, 2024.

“City officials said they have focused efforts over the past six years on educating businesses, but come this June [they] will begin investigating complaints and issuing fines,” says an article in the Long Beach Post on Apr. 10. “If a violation is confirmed, the Public Works Department will issue a 30-day correction notification to the business.”

“[Styrofoam] is affecting the environment a lot,” says Lily Palmer, QUEST senior and a member of Millikan’s Environment Club. “I would say it’s a similar level to plastic. I know that the manufacturer of styrofoam is really harmful to the environment, and it really damages the ozone layer.”

“Over 5 billion pounds of Styrofoam ends up in our landfills and waterways each year,” according to Heal the Planet, an environmental group based in Florida. That amount will just keep piling up because it is estimated that Styrofoam takes around 500 years to decompose, if it decomposes at all. 

“I am surprised by the sheer number, but I’m not surprised by how much we use Styrofoam because I can’t think of any other material that has the same insulating properties, it’s very versatile,” says Palmer. “I see why we use it so much, but I’m surprised that there isn’t another solution that we’ve come up with so far.”

The city is encouraging businesses to use materials that are easily recycled, like paper boxes or wooden utensils.

To further help our planet, not only does this ban include Styrofoam and polystyrene (the plastic material the brand Styrofoam is made of) items, but it also prohibits businesses from giving out straws and plastic utensils unless requested by customers.

Photo of Styrofoam in a dumpster. (Antonio Salaben)

Palmer thinks that students can help combat this issue by using reusable containers and water bottles. “Even ordering less food at restaurants so you don’t have to use takeout boxes.”

The enforcement of this Styrofoam ban will help keep our cities clean as well as the entire planet, starting this June. Students can help out beforehand by paying attention to the products they use and making sure that recyclables and being put in the recycling, not the trash.