The Student News Site of Millikan High

The Corydon

The Corydon

The Student News Site of Millikan High

The Corydon

Millikan Boys Volleyball

Austin Saunders
Photo of Varsity setter during a game

Our Millikan Boys Volleyball team is ready to conquer another tough and long season this year. They have a very strong program throughout all levels. Throughout their current season, Varsity’s record is 5-2 (won 5, lost 2).

This year the team is in Division 3 of CIF in the Moore League (previous seasons they were in Division 1 and 2) and will be competing against other Moore League teams such as Wilson, Poly, Lakewood, Jordan, Cabrillo and Compton. Wilson and Poly are two of their more challenging opponents in the Moore League; they have lots of skilled upperclassmen and future college-level players. 

Although the team has never won the CIF title, they’ve come very close, making it to the semi-finals the last two years! They hope to come further in the playoffs this year and possibly win the title.

Varsity Coach Johnson stated, “The experience of having fun playing our game is hopefully enough to get us through some of the more challenging matches.”

During preseason, they’ve prepared for these games with lots of indoor reps (skill repetition) during their scheduled fifth period class, and practicing on the beach volleyball team in the Fall.

Photo of a Millikan player serving by Austin Saunders

This was the first year that Boys Beach Volleyball played in the Moore League. Most varsity players, as well as frosh and JV players, joined beach volleyball, and according to Coach Johnson, this helped enhance their skills for their indoor season. 

They played Wilson on Mar. 12 and were faced with tough competition. Millikan won the first set 25-20, although Wilson won the next three sets taking the game. Furthermore, the next week the Rams won against Lakewood in three sets on Tuesday, Mar. 19. They had lots of great kills and great defense.

According to varsity player Evan Crucil, a sophomore in PEACE, the team played well during this match, even though they lost. 

As for the rest of the season, the Rams are looking forward to improving. “We’re doing good with what we have but we could use some skill development and extra reps,” says Crucil. According to player John Cammarata, a junior in QUEST, the key things they need to work on are, “attitude, effort and communication,” to excel and succeed. 

On Mar. 26, Varsity won against undefeated Poly in three sets. The game was very intense with lots of rallies and amazing plays. The Rams did really well and defeated the Jackrabbits along with their winning streak.

With their recent triumphs as well as losses, the Rams are continuing to pursue throughout their season. Come watch one of their games! The next home game is on Tuesday, Apr. 9 at 5pm in the Big Gym where students get in for free.

6
View Comments (6)