Ohtani X Yamamoto (teammates part two)

Photo+the+World+Baseball+Classic+2023+at+Chase+Field+in+AZ+
Kayla Castillo
Photo the World Baseball Classic 2023 at Chase Field in AZ

This MLB (Major League Baseball) off-season was full of huge blockbuster moves that are sure to excite all baseball fans. One move, however, took precedence over any other, that being the Dodgers acquisition of Shohei Ohtani and Yoshinobu Yamamoto.

Photo of signing announcement on MLB Network (Kayla Castillo)

Ohtani signed a ten-year, 700 million-dollar contract after much speculation of where the reigning American League MVP would sign. When Dodger fans didn’t think it could get any better, the Japanese baseball star Yoshinobu Yamamoto followed suit and signed a twelve-year, 325 million-dollar contract with the Dodgers.
Shohei Ohtani is said to be one of the best baseball players of all time by many baseball fans. He’s unstoppable on both sides of the plate as he can both strike players out and hit a home run in the same inning.
“I was scrolling on my phone and I got up and started running around. I checked Instagram to make sure it was official. I was really excited and happy about him [Shohei Ohtani] signing,” says Daunte Bell, a PEACE sophomore and player on the Millikan varsity baseball team.
Yoshinobu Yamamoto is a newcomer to MLB as he has been pitching in the Nippon Professional Baseball League (the official baseball league in Japan). He has always been on the radar of many MLB teams but became even more of a young athlete to look out for after performing extremely well alongside Ohtani in the World Baseball Classic, a baseball tournament between countries, in March of 2023. They both were playing for their home country of Japan.
“A big thank you to Shohei for deciding to wear Dodger blue! I know all Dodger fans around the world are extremely happy and excited that you decided to join our organization and we welcome you to Dodger nation!” said basketball phenomenon Magic Johnson on X.
Ohtani and Yamamoto recently made their Dodger debuts in a special MLB series that took place in Seoul, South Korea. In the two game series vs SoCal rivals the San Diego Padres, Ohtani hit 3-for-10 and brought in two runs for his new team. Yamamoto on the other hand disappointed many fans. In his outing on March 21, the second game of the series, he was charged with the 15-11 loss allowing five runs to score in just the 1st inning. He was removed from the game shortly after.
Many fans have raised concerns about his recent performance as he still is adjusting to the new league. We can only hope these concerns will be put to rest as the season continues on and we see more of Yamamoto.
Baseball fans worldwide are excited to see what these two will bring as the 2024 season quickly approaches. As of right now, the duo is adapting to the new team that they hope to bring many championships to in the next decade of their respective careers.

3
View Comments (3)