The Student News Site of Millikan High

The Corydon

The Corydon

The Student News Site of Millikan High

The Corydon

Teacher Features

Teacher+Features

Happy issue six Rams!!! This issue we will be presenting to you Ms. Danielle Ibasco, this year’s new Senior Officer Assistant, and Ms. Patricia Jimenez, this year’s new Assistant in the Attendance Office. 

Ms. Danielle Ibasco is Millikan’s new Senior Officer Assistant and oversees the Counseling and Enrollment Department. Her main responsibilities are supporting the counselors, processing requests, and preparing for graduation events. 

“Statistics show only 4% of foster youth graduate from college. I was one of those 4% and I hope to meet, support, and motivate other students here at Millikan by sharing my story. During my last semester at CSULB, I joined Fostering Futures, a student organization created to support foster youth, as their Public Relations Officer,” said Ibasco. 

Photo of Mr. Ibasco working at her desk. (Beatriz Lopez)

Ibasco was part of a program within Long Beach Unified School District that gives presentations to current foster youth on “How to Apply to College” and teaches students the importance of Self-Advocacy. 

“I never knew how life-changing and rewarding giving that presentation was going to be for me,” said Ibasco.

Ms. Ibasco attended Long Beach City College for three years and California State University, Long Beach for two years. Then she graduated Magna Cum Laude from California State University, Long Beach in 2021. She also acquired a Bachelor’s Degree in Health Care Administration, a Certificate of Accomplishment in Business Economics, and a Certificate of Accomplishment in Accounting.

Before working at Millikan, Ibasco worked at Kaiser Permanente in the Pediatrics Department as a Clerk. 

“During high school and most of college, I always wanted to work in healthcare but it wasn’t until my last semester of college that changed for me and I knew education was the right place for me. At both LBCC and CSULB, I was a part of two programs. The EOPS/EOP Program which supports first-generation college students and the Guardian Scholars Program which supports current and former foster youth,” said Ibasco. 

In her free time, she enjoys spending time with her family. Ibasco is a mother to three children, ages four, seven, and eight, who she spends time together playing sports and video games, and exploring new places.

At Millikan, her goal is to continue to learn and help as many students as possible and to continue to make the counseling department a warm, positive environment that all students feel comfortable coming to visit.

Next we have Ms. Patricia Jimenez, the Assistant in the Attendance Office. Her responsibilities include processing early outs and correcting students attendance for field trips and sports. 

Photo of Ms. Patricia Jimenez at her desk. (Kalani Burk)

Ms. Jimenez has 20 years of experience under her belt as a translator and office assistant. She arrived in the United States from Peru in 2001 where she completed a secretary course. 

Her journey within the Long Beach Unified School District began 10 years ago. Prior to coming to Millikan she worked at Poly High School.
“I hope to get to know the students and staff and to deliver the best service possible. My daughter will be coming to Millikan next year as a freshman, and I am very excited to be part of her high school experience,” said Jimenez.

Jimenez spends her free time with her family and her daughter. They enjoy each others company and go on fun hikes. 

In her short time here at Millikan, Ms. Jimenez shares that her favorite part about our school is the spirit and the pride of the Rams.

We appreciate all the work that our staff has done for us and can’t wait to see what the future holds for them at our school!