Introducing New 2024-2025 Electives

Bhree Walker
Photo of the new creative writing class, taught by Mr. Felix

The time has come to choose your classes for next year, RAMS! If you didn’t catch wind of it already, there are three new elective classes that you will have the opportunity to take.

The first class you should know about is Creative Writing which will be taught by Mr. Felix who currently teaches 10th grade English. This class not only calls for short story and book writers, but also poets, songwriters, and other creative writers. This class welcomes any type of creative students, content creators, songwriters, and game designers who storyboard. This hands-on class will help any type of writer learn how to write or be more creative. 

“We will be working on writing assignments throughout the year, which is gonna revolve around [small writings] within a larger piece, like a chapter of a novel, a short story, poetry, and the fourth and final unit will be writers choice,” says Mr. Felix.

Students who join this class can create what they’re most passionate about. This can include lyrics, game stories, scripts, etc.

The next class is the new Baile Folklórico class that will be taught by Mrs. Diaz, who teaches Spanish and AP Spanish Literature and Culture. Baile Folklórico is a type of dance that is a part of Mexican culture and tradition. Female dancers tend to wear long skirts and the male dancers tend to wear white collared shirts and pants. They also use props depending on the area of Mexico they are representing.

This class was started by the Baile Folklórico club, the Presidents being a QUEST senior Luis Chavez, and a QUEST junior

Savannah Martinez. Chavez turned this club into a class through his QUEST senior project.

Photo of the Presidents of Baile Folklórico club, Savannah Martinez and Luis Chavez (Mr. Anthony Thomas)

This class will be super fun to take and dancers have the chance to perform in different shows with the Millikan dance program.

“The Folklórico class can be a fun environment, it’s very collaborative. Students who are choosing classes don’t have to worry if it is competitive. In Folklórico it’s just getting to know the culture and choreography,” says Chavez.

The final new class you can look forward to taking is AP African American Studies, taught by Ms. Boyd, a COMPASS economics and government teacher.

Here at Millikan, we are lucky to have Ms. Boyd who has agreed to teach this course so that our students have the opportunity to explore African American Studies in high school.

“[This class] is probably closer to a mix of AP Seminar and AP Art because we will be looking at many different sources from different periods. The first unit deals with early Africa and then the diaspora. So we will look at artifacts from former African kingdoms,” says Boyd.

In other units, students will also look at some writings from activists like Langston Hughes, screenplays, and other things contributing to African American culture in the U.S.

If you’ve already had a conference with your counselor, and want to update your electives, come to the counseling office by Mar. 15.

27
View Comments (27)