Teacher Burnout

Nora Brust
Photo of a teacher’s graded work.

Lesson planning, making photocopies, creating quizzes and exams to backward map, comparing lessons to state standards to check for consistency, planning with colleagues for consistency, preparing materials, attending student/parent meetings, attending IEP/504 meetings, attending department meetings, attend pathway meetings, attend counselor/administrator/staff meetings, teach content, tutor at least one hour a week, adjust lessons as needed, grade assignments, grade assessments, upload content to Canvas, create materials for Canvas as needed, complete at least 20 hours of adjunct duties a semester, complete any paperwork for the school/district as needed, complete mandated training each year, attend district training, respond to emails (within 48 working hours), meeting with course alike teams, meeting with teaching teams to discuss supporting students, writing letters of recs for juniors/seniors, etc. there are more,” stated Mrs. Sharp, a Millikan math teacher. 

These are all the typical duties expected of our teachers at Millikan and they still don’t cover all the responsibilities required of them. If teachers continue to work under such stressful conditions, both teachers and students will be harmed by toxic environments.

A teacher’s day at Millikan occurs from the normal school hours of 8:30 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. However, a typical day far exceeds these hours. 

English teacher Mrs. Mize shared that she typically arrives at school between 7-7:30 a.m., but during a grading period where she grades 180 essays, she will arrive at school around 6:30 a.m. as well as grade essays at home.

Along with grading and the typical teaching duties, “Teacher workload and requirements have silently increased over the years, but since COVID, it’s become more noticeable and unsustainable,” states Mrs. Mize. 

Photo of a stressed teacher. (Alysse Arenas)

When asked what has been contributing to more stress among teachers, Mrs. Sharp gave many examples, including less staff support, changing the A-G requirements to require four years of math, increasing teacher pathway involvement, requiring teachers to mentor two students, observing other classrooms, and read books to address inequity in grading.

“There is a lot of pressure to do so much,” stated Mrs. Sharp. “That pressure causes stress.”

Teachers are also expected to include social-emotional learning while addressing inequities in their lesson plans, upload notes and course information online, and accommodate the learning loss from distant learning. 

Regarding social-emotional learning, Mrs. Mize states, “While we don’t deny the need, effective lesson design that is so complex requires time and knowledge and we simply do not have enough of either of those.” Teachers are given training opportunities to help them develop these new lesson plans, but the trainings “only touch on the tip of the iceberg,” and don’t equip teachers enough to meet the new standards.

Even stress is noticeable in my very own journalism class. Our teacher is busy addressing class issues, teaching lesson plans, and more. Despite constantly dedicating time to grading work, assignment grades have had to be inputted later. Seeing all that work pile up can be frustrating. 

Teachers have their typical responsibilities to deal with, and adding additional pressure without the proper support may promote teacher burnout. In the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, burnout is defined as, “Exhaustion of physical or emotional strength or motivation usually as a result of prolonged stress or frustration.”

“We are expected to do the unattainable,” states Mrs. Mize. Teachers have to balance many different factors like encounters with different parenting styles or helping a student’s emotional safety, all while “working in an environment that is apathetic about us as humans.”

Teachers constantly work outside of the classroom, but it is illegal for employees to work beyond their contracted time without any compensation. So instead, we are guilted by admin/parents/students to work additional hours because our employer cannot legally ask us to,” states Mrs. Sharp. This is a major contributor to teacher burnout.

To avoid burning out teachers, schools could form better teacher support systems and resources. If leaders of the school and district gain a better understanding of the daily responsibilities teachers have, there could be a better understanding of what is reasonable to ask of teachers and what can change to ask new things of them.

Teachers are given a chance to join the district’s discussion of what’s best for students and teachers, but their insight is not always taken into consideration. If teachers were given more voice, there could be a better understanding of how to improve the teaching environment.

Mrs. Sharp suggested, “When something is being asked of us to complete, something should be taken off our plate to compensate for the time it takes for the tasks.” This way teachers are given a better chance to address their responsibilities without having to worry about overloads.

Teachers should be given a bigger voice to understand what they need. By helping teachers, schools have a bigger chance of helping their students as well.

15
View Comments (15)