Boys Basketball’s Rocky Season

Photo of the varsity team playing a game.
Arianna Orozco

The Millikan’s varsity boys basketball team has had a rough start to their season, however, many players were spotlighted with substantial achievements. They are currently ranked sixth in the Moore League and have had a 24% win rate compared to their 44% in the 22-23 winter season.

They kicked their season off on Nov. 13, 2023, with a loss against Tesoro High School finishing with a score of 63-38. They had a second loss against Mayfair High School but came back to beat Rancho Dominguez in a close game of 65-62. 

The Rams came back to the court this season losing multiple of their star players as they graduated in 2023. These hard-working boys have lost 16 of their 21 games but won against El Segundo, Carson, Rancho Dominguez, Legacy, and Compton. Although their season has not gone as expected, they still have plenty of games left to improve. Their last game of the season is a home game and will take place on Feb. 1, 2023, against Long Beach Poly at 7:00 p.m.

Photo of a basketball in Millikan’s gym

Dylan Williams, a sophomore in QUEST and a player on the boy’s basketball team said, “Despite setbacks, we are still working towards making it to the playoffs.” Playoffs will be taking place sometime in February. 

Coach Boyer confirmed that playoffs may still be on the books for our boy’s basketball varsity team.

“There’s still a chance if we win games in the second round of Moore League that kicks off tonight [Jan. 17, 2024] at Jordan,” said Boyer.

SEGA Senior Ben Eliott and a small forward on the team said, “We are working to play better defense to hopefully give us a better shot at moving forward.”

If you would like to support these Rams, make sure to show up to one of the three home games left which take place on Jan. 30, and Feb. 1 for a fee of five dollars with student ID.

5
View Comments (5)