High Tech Day

Hanna Walker
Photo of an AT&T store. They helped organize High Tech Day at Millikan.

On Oct. 30, AT&T visited Millikan for High Tech Day. On this day, Hacemos, an AT&T employee resource group that supports Hispanic/Latino communities, hosted more than 150 students through four different technology-based workshops in Millikan’s auditorium and quad.

Students were able to learn about “coding, smart tech vehicles, and broadband connectivity- all led by Hispanic STEM professionals,” said Miguel Lopez-Najera, Regional Media Relations Manager at AT&T. “Since 1998, more than 20,000 students have participated in this annual event.”

Even though High Tech Day has been happening for a while, it’s the first year it was hosted physically at Millikan. And while anyone can choose a career in the tech industry, SEGA was mostly involved in this event.

“In our SEGA courses, we try to include different Work Based Learning (WBL) activities to help expose students to careers, especially those related to the tech industry,” said Sylvana DeSantis, the Game Design and Game Development teacher here at Millikan. 

Photo of the High Tech Day event. (AT&T)

“[High Tech Day] was pretty cool, there were a lot of speakers there and we got a lot of information about what they do,” said Izaih Nozan, a SEGA student who attended High Tech Day. He was able to learn a lot, including about how wifi works.

According to Reina Amaya, AT&T Senior Project Program Manager and HACEMOS Chair, this event is in place to educate minority students on how they can succeed in a STEM career through proper support since there is a lack of representation for them in the STEM workforce.

“High Tech Day is the most important day for Hacemos, it supports communities, and kids get to see representation so they know they can do it too,” said Amaya.

Keynote speaker, Roberto Martinez, was one of the speakers and Millikan alumni. Now he’s the CEO of Braven Digital Marketing, a digital marketing company. He was the first Mexican-American college student in his family and was able to share his journey with the students here at Millikan.

If you are interested in a tech or STEM career, AT&T provides internships and other programs that offer opportunities to minority students interested. If you’re interested you can email Reina Amaya.

6
View Comments (6)