Amy Walker Shoots and Scores!

By Paris Blanco
Co-Editor-in-Chief

Although COVID-19 has drastically changed high school athletics, many student athletes retain their passion for their sports. One of these athletes is QUEST junior, Amy Walker, who began playing basketball in elementary school.

According to Walker, basketball has always been a part of her. She states, “I first became interested in playing when I started to play on the playground at Prisk Elementary. I started playing basketball in the 6th grade with an NJB (National Junior Basketball) recreation league and eventually joined the JW Basketball Club team in the 7th grade. Currently, I am playing for the Rancho Elite Club team and am on the varsity team at Millikan.” 

As of now, Walker has not been able to practice with her Millikan teammates due to COVID-19. However, she has continued to play on club teams. 

PHOTO COURTESY OF AMY WALKER

Amy Walker (left) dribbles the ball during a game against Compton High School. 

In regards to her goals, Walker approaches basketball with much ambition. “I would love to win the Moore League while I’m at Millikan and go on to win a CIF (California Interscholastic Federation) Championship. I also have a goal of playing at the college level,” explains Walker.

However, Walker’s future basketball plans are not yet solidified. She says, “I haven’t committed to any single place to play yet; I’m keeping my options open.”

When asked about her experience with the Lady Rams, Walker holds a ton of love for her highschool basketball team. “I’ve most enjoyed getting to know many of the girls on the team,” says Walker, “Nearly all of my best friends are connected to Millikan basketball in some way. I love being able to spend time with them on and off the court.”

All in all, Walker’s inspiration in basketball boils down to Michael Jordan. “He worked to the point where he had accomplished everything in basketball and never lost an NBA finals series,” states Walker. 

1
View Comments (1)