The Student News Site of Millikan High

The Corydon

The Corydon

The Student News Site of Millikan High

The Corydon

“New Year New Me”

By Kezziah Hernandez, Social Media Editor

New Year’s Resolutions are your chance to break bad habits or begin to strive, and or accomplish a personal goal; your ability to start fresh for this New Year. 

This tradition we can see be dated back to Roman Mythology, at the time they named January, Janus after the Roman God. They named January, Janus due to Janus’s two faces one being able to look forward and one able to see in the back, to Romans this resembled the ability to see in the future and to see what was in the past. When the time came on December 31st they referred to his two faces, the one looking on to the past was to judge you ultimately for the New Year, in hopes to make up for their mistakes from the past year they would present Janus with gifts and making promises to be forgiven for their upcoming New Year. Thus, making the New Year’s Resolution Tradition we see today. It’s more commonly known for the Western Hemisphere but is also practiced in the Eastern Hemisphere.  

The New York Post says, out of 2,000 Americans, it takes 32 days to give up on their New Years Resolution and 68% admitted to giving up on their resolution even sooner than the 32 days. The people who were surveyed had said they got stuck in their tracks due to the lack of self-discipline and it didn’t accommodate their busy schedule. Others say they fell under societal peer pressure, and some said they tried sticking to the “New Year New Me” agenda by telling their friends about their new change to feel obligated to follow through with it or had a friend tag along with them in the plan. 

However, failing a new year’s resolution should not be something that people beat themselves over. We fail, we learn, we move on. Setting goals and failing is something everybody is afraid of with the following judgment that comes with their failure but no human is perfect and failure is what leads us to greatness and that’s something we all need to be made aware of. 

Roman God Janus’s two faces, one facing forward and the other looking backwards, from wikimedia common

9
View Comments (9)