Prepping For Adulthood

Ava Sedillo

Students and staff gathered at the College and Career Center, room 11207.

Allyson Richter, Staff Reporter

Life after high school can seem intimidating, and nothing is worse than feeling unprepared. Whether it’s understanding college life, career building, or money management, schools should better equip students for the real world. 

“[Schools] very much stress the importance of applying to colleges and getting into college, but then after that you’re left on your own,” says Crislynn Duncan, a SEGA senior. “I just had to ask a teacher what a W-4 form was, and I had to fill one out when I applied to work… I didn’t know anything. I had to ask my mom to help me with it, and my mom was even struggling.”

Students planning to live independently after school face unknown responsibilities. Students, particularly seniors, receive college pamphlets and career encouragement, but no one seems to understand the mundane responsibilities of adult reality. It’s unproductive to plan your future when you don’t know what it entails.

“It is a very different experience when you are living on your own,” says Ms. Aguirre, College and Career Specialist at Millikan. “A lot of students are going to have that shell shock of, ‘Wow, I didn’t know I had to do my own laundry, wash my own dishes, and learn to live with a roommate.’”

Photo of college and career handouts from the College and Career Center. (Ava Sedillo)

While not everyone has the same plans, courses that teach life skills like handling taxes or even cooking a meal benefit everyone. Whether someone plans to go away for college or stay local, Millikan’s College and Career Center can help, but there still seems to be a lack of resources available.

“You can also rely on the internet, but it’d definitely be nice if that was just something that was taught, something that’s like ‘I don’t have to worry about this because I have the resources,’” stated Katie Cliborn, a COMPASS junior.

Another resource some students turn to is their family. 

“I don’t depend on school to do those things,” stated Madison Condon, a COMPASS junior. “I depend on my mom and my family to teach me those things.”

PEACE senior Mauricio Montzies believes that schools should teach things like English and math, but life skills such as laundry is a “parent thing.”

Parents may be there to teach some students, but not everyone can rely on family to impart life skills.

“Your family can only do so much for you, and at that rate some people don’t have families like that, where they’re willing to care for them,” stated Liamkrajang, a SEGA senior. “So I feel like the school should be able to do both since school is a place where you’re supposed to get an education and learn. What’s the point of school if they’re not going to teach you everything like they’re supposed to?”

Millikan has some opportunities for learning life skills, but can still do better. Students can turn to the internet or family members, but the College and Career Center is the perfect place to start implementing accessible life skills resources.