Swinging Into The Season

Lauren Runyan, Staff Reporter

Spring is near, which marks the start of the spring sports, one of which is softball. The softball program here at Millikan is broken up into three teams: varsity, JV, and frosh-soph. Varsity and JV started their season off with a tournament at Cypress Arnold Park on Feb 12 and 19, where varsity went 3-1 and JV went 2-1 and tied their last game. 

Following was the frosh-soph team, whose season started Feb 22, with a home game against Cypress at El Dorado Park, which got canceled during the fourth inning due to the rain.    

The teams compete to try and win the Moore League title, which consists of six public LBUSD high schools competing for the same title (with the addition of Compton High School). After that they hope to go onto the CIF playoffs. Last year the varsity team won their first Moore League title since 2004, beating their rival Lakewood High School twice! 

Frosh-Soph Team Photo

“The coaches are good, I like the people, and I’m glad to be part of the program,” freshman JV player Kristen Adame in the COMPASS program said. Adame also added, “I’m looking forward to just getting out there and playing, and of course hopefully winning the Moore League title.”

If you’re interested in seeing any games, there are plenty of home games right at Millikan, so be sure to show your support. Good luck to all the girls this season, go Rams!