The Dress Code Debacle

Room 305 where students are instructed to go to change into uniform compliant clothing

Charlie Hex, News Editor

As of Friday, Jan. 28, the first day of the second semester for 2022, Millikan has changed the dress code temporarily to include jeans (without any rips), solid blue or gold collarless T-shirts, and black and gray outerwear (as long as they are not patterned). 

Millikan’s Assistant Principal, Arinn Filer, who has been speaking about the dress code the past few weeks over the morning announcements, said that the “staff wants to get student, parent, staff, and teacher perspectives,” on the new dress code, hence the only temporary change. 

PEACE and QUEST Assistant Principal Cheryl Savio put out a video on Tuesday, Feb. 8, reviewing all of the new dress code policies making it very clear what is and is not acceptable to wear to school. 

According to Dean of Students, Kyle Heinrich, these continuing reminders are all part of the school’s effort to “communicate the new guidelines and give clarification,” so that eventually the new dress code will be more streamline and everyone will be on the same page.

“I get why there may be a little bit of a bump as to students abiding by the guidelines,” says Heinrich. “[The staff and I] want to be understanding and flexible and willing to change over time.”

COMPASS junior Julissa Flores says, “I still don’t feel like we are able to express ourselves as much as we should be, students should be able to wear whatever it is that they want within reasonable guidelines. It doesn’t make sense that one piece of clothing can be a certain color but another can’t.” Flores is referencing how students are allowed to wear black sweatshirts now but not black t-shirts or black pants. 

PHOTO COURTESY OF Grant Robinson: Temporary Millikan uniform policy for second semester

Heinrich added a few reasons as to why Millikan is so adamant about keeping the dress code, such as safety precautions because seeing someone who is not in the permitted colors makes it easy to identify someone on campus who might not be a student and could be posing a threat. Some of Heinrich’s other reasons included school pride, creating a “level playing field” among students, keeping the tradition of the school, and more. 

Flores counters by saying, “I haven’t seen anything drastically negative happen on days where it’s free dress.”

Heinrich says that “[The Millikan staff and I] want our students to come into school feeling like they belong, that they are safe, comfortable, and involved.” 

Hopefully the change in dress code is the beginning of a new era of understanding between the student body and staff, and moving forward in this way will create a space where everyone is proud to walk in the gate and be a part of Millikan.