2022 Prom Recap

PHOTO COURTESY OF Chase Evans Instagram @cchaseevans

Soleil Mckoy, Staff Reporter

Saturday, May 21, juniors and seniors spent the night “hanging out” at the OC Hangar. After COVID-19 delayed prom for two years, Rams were finally able to get their groove on at this year’s event. 

No dress, no problem. Thanks to the Wellness Center, students unable to acquire a dress of their own didn’t miss out on the dress-up magic.

“Since the Wellness Center is a place for resources, we thought Prom dresses would be a great resource. Our head counselor Ms. Mashburn had awareness of an agency that supports during Prom [The Jewish Community Center], so she connected us,”  said Ms. Uresti, the school social worker in the Wellness Center, “we had so many dresses, and PTSA funds went to putting all of the dresses on a clothing rack.”

A few of the dresses available in the Wellness Center.

The OC Hangar, predominantly used as a concert hall, was transformed for the event, garnished with a red carpet for this evening. The open venue, now centerpieced with a large dance floor, was illuminated with flashing strobe lights. As for the festivities, game booths including a poker table, airbrush tattoo station, caricature drawing station, and photo booth decorated the hall. 

“I got tatted up and my caricature drawn. Prom was awesome,” QUEST junior, Max Wohlgezogen said. 

The DJ also played music from a “mini” stage to the large crowds of students dancing together. 

“My favorite part of prom was definitely jumping around with all of my friends. I liked that the venue was really open, so it felt like there was a lot of space to dance,”  QUEST senior, Ava Crouther said. 

At the high point of the dance, the winners of this year’s prom court were announced. After a competitive race, MBA senior Chase Evans and COMPASS senior Eryn Carmon were crowned as prom royalty.

“It was definitely the highlight of my high school career,” Evans said, “it felt really good to see all my friends I’ve made in my four years support me.”  

Overall, it seems that the Prom’s comeback has been deemed a success.